In April of 1961, having recently been bought by Leyland Motors, Triumph launched a revised version of the popular Herald model. The Herald Estate, a two door wagon on the same chassis and also penned by Michelotti, was launched a month later.
Despite competition from Ford’s new Anglia and the runaway success of the original Minis, almost 40,000 Herald 1200 Estates found homes in its seven year lifespan.
June 14th’s The Motor of 1961 saw a flurry of advertisements for the car, with dealers scrambling for space amongst the OE parts suppliers who had been involved in the build.
Rubber-bumpered and available in a wide range of pastel and two tone colour combinations, the Herald range was one of the last small British cars to be built on a separate chassis. They were also assembled in India, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Ireland, Malta and two locations in Peru, making them early members of the World Car club.